Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Wistful Wednesday : Christmas 1988

Oh lets go back 27 years.  Why not. December of 1988.
Christmas 1988
A polaroid taken by Far Guy’s Dad.
Back: Ronald, Bethany, Janice, Jennifer and me.
Far Guy, Trica with Baby Snuffer and Far Guy’s Mom.
Trica would have been 16 years old, Jennifer 13. Bethany would have been 7.
Far Guy only has one sister.   They had more siblings : twins, a brother and a sister that died shortly after birth of lung problems. ( In retrospect they probably had Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Defiency)
Christmas Dinner 1988
Here we are at the dinner table. White tablecloth pressed perfectly and the candles lit. The good China and the silverware was silver.  Most of the glasses are part of a set called Platinum Leaves or possibly Frosted Silver Leaves.

On the table: A beautiful lead glass dish that had three compartments dividing the pickles, green olives and black olives. Another plate with carrott sticks and celery with the valley filled with Cheese Whiz.  A fancy smancy mold that is probably cranberries and Jello. Also serving:  Homemade dinner rolls.  Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy.  The vegetable was most likely green bean cassarole.  Dessert would have been an assortment of homemade cookies and candy…possibly with some perfect pink or green Divinity.

Does anyone even made Divinity anymore? 
Blog Signature

16 comments:

Henny Penny said...

1988 seems like just yesterday, but gosh, how things have changed! I love seeing the old pictures.

diane said...

Divinity. Yes I make it, but didn't this year. Took the recipe out and looked at it but made a couple other candies instead. Enjoy the picturesque reading of the table. Sounds very much like the one my mom would have done. You took me back in time. Great.

DJan said...

Everyone looks so young I wouldn't have recognized Far Guy, with dark hair no less. Since you rarely put any pictures of yourself as you are today, I can't tell how much different you look now. But 1988 doesn't seem like it could possibly be 27 years ago. Yikes how time flies. :-)

Pauline Persing said...

Fun to see the photo of 1988. Makes me think about going through my boxes of old photos.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us see your family photos.

Shirley H.

Linda Kay said...

Those old photos are so much fun to see, with family changed so much. And where did those years go? Have a safe new year celebration and a happy 2016

Tired Teacher said...

I remember seeing glasses like that at a friend's house - only they were gold instead of silver. My mother used the divided dishes for nibbles, too. I have a couple of the dishes.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts. It's your Memory Lane, but it also brings to mind forgotten things from my memories, too. THANK YOU.

Rita said...

Never made divinity. Wasn't a part of the family food heritage my way.
Wonderful photos. That sounds similar to many of my family dinners, too. :)

Terra said...

Time flies. I like your photos from your long ago celebration.

MTWaggin said...

I see divinity in the stores but it isn't the same! I love Jello flavored divinity like Mom used to make but I always remember her saying it was hard to get it right.

Patsy said...

And they were good old days to remember!

Red said...

Those are some great old polaroid shots that show a different time of celebration.

Granny Marigold said...

I don't think I've ever had Divinity fudge. Having a sweet tooth, I'd probably like it though. Great old pics. Where does the time go?

Jacqi Stevens said...

If anyone is still making Divinity, they are likely mobbed the moment the word gets out.

Sam I Am...... said...

1988 was the year we finally sold our house in Rockford, IL and moved to Iowa. I had been commuting on weekends for 6 months. It seems like it wasn't that long ago. Great pictures and description of the dishes and I have never made divinity.