Sunday, June 14, 2015

Saturday Night Ride

Last evening on our ride around the neighborhood we saw the Prairie Smoke shimmering in the evening light.

Prairie Smoke

Prairie Smoke a Native Wildflower…the old timers call it Old Man’s Whiskers or Grandfather’s Whiskers/Beard. It is really Geum triflorum.

IMG_8358

Vi’s Iris along the fence row…and Ashley’s horses.

As I am hanging my head out the window wondering if I can get the horses to look up if I whistle a pickup pulls up so we have ladies aid in the middle of the road.  We got all caught up with my cousin Dale. Always good to see him…he is all recovered from the open heart surgery he had last winter.

Neighbors barn

A barn in the neighborhood….always a scenic spot.  Sometimes we see deer here but not last night.  The green of that hay field almost hurts my eyes.

Then we mosey on down the road…Chance wants to stop and see his friends..so we do. Jo  is watering her flower garden and Steve is watching TV….we visit on the deck. When Chance and Putzer have chased the ball until their tongues are hanging out and Odda has got a really good back scratch…we head for home.

That’s the way it is in the boonies on a Saturday night in the summertime.

Ladies Aid in the middle of the road =  Two vehicles meet, turn off their engines and visit until another vehicle comes along or you are all caught up with the news.

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Darlene said...

That sounds like a lovely way to spend the evening. And your pictures show that it is a very lovey place. Love the Ladies Aid! Wow. I'm all about "love" in this comment. lol http://enelrad-darlene.blogspot.com

DJan said...

That is definitely country living, all right. Stopping in the road to visit just doesn't happen much around here. :-)

Karen51 said...

I am so glad the owner of that barn is keeping it up. So many old barns are falling into ruin and one day that American icon will be gone! Happy Sunday.

Gail said...

That is a beautiful way of life.

Marcy said...

Sounds like a winner of an evening to me!

Tired Teacher said...

Ah yes, those meetings happen on country roads around here, too, and occasionally, I'll see one on the side streets in town. Life is good!

Linda W. said...

Love that last shot of the barn! Thanks for taking us along on your ride.

Marty said...

The perfect summer activity - an evening drive.

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos ! Our summer Saturdays are almost the same only when walking our country roads as are other country folk lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Cynthia said...

Ladies Aid in the middle of the road happens in South Carolina, too! The topic last week was the rain and how the garden was faring.

Linda Reeder said...

Such a life! It reminds me of my childhood, growing up in rural Oregon. Lovely.

Red said...

This is typical country! Important things first...ladies aide, flowers, visiting, dogs. The rest can wait.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen or heard of Praire Smoke. Interesting! I get the Ladies Aide thing. They did that where I grew up.

Anonymous said...

The Prairie Smoke is lovely. Sounds like a lovely night to be out.

Rita said...

Ah, yes! I know all about the vehicles stopped in the road to visit, but I didn't know that it had a name.
Sounds like a sweet Saturday night and I love that barn! :)

Sam I Am...... said...

I've never seen that flower before...very interesting. I sure miss the country air too...it doesn't smell the same down here at all. Isn't that funny? I can't wait to get back up North! And Winter? I have missed it so much! And Fall...I can hardly sleep at night I am so excited! 13 weeks and counting! Don't ask me how but I am determined to get there by September. Beautiful barn!

Shirley said...

Sounds like a perfect lazy day.