Monday, June 15, 2015

In search of Slippers

Chance and I took off early Sunday morning.  I ordered some blueberries off the fruit truck and they needed to be picked up at 8AM.  Far Guy loves blueberries…me not so much. 

On the way to the big town…in the middle of the road we saw; a Deer, a Turkey Vulture and a Snapping Turtle.  No photos because I was driving!

After the blueberry pickup my reward was being the captain of my own ship so I took off through Tamarac Wildlife Refuge in search of Lady’s Slippers.

The Yellow Lady’s Slippers are just about done.

Landing strip on the yellow slippers

An insect or animal ate away the front part of the slipper. SO…you can see the runway that starts at the top of the slipper and travels down…this must show up like neon lights to pollinating insects.

Iddy Biddy yellow Lady Slippers

These are very small Yellow Lady’s Slippers. A different variety…I have only seen these on the Refuge.

Showy Lady Slipper

The Minnesota State Flower The Showy Lady’s Slipper.  Cypripedium reginae.

Yes they are Orchids.  The Showy Lady’s Slippers will be in peak in about a week…Father’s Day right on target. Right now I saw about four clumps in bloom on the 18 mile stretch…but then I was driving…but slow and I stopped and got out of the vehicle to take photos.  I didn’t meet one car the entire 18 miles…it was a perfect morning! Chance hung his head out the window almost the entire drive. 

There are getting to be a few skeeters in the deep woods.  We did see some wildlife…more on that tomorrow.

Blog Signature

25 comments:

Country Gal said...

Sounds like a nice drive you had ! Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

linda m said...

Sounds like you had a really nice drive - just you and Chance. Great pictures of the Lady Slippers.

Intense Guy said...

Wow. 18 miles and no cars? I don't think I can even drive 18 yards without an oncoming car... The state flower is a beaut!

DJan said...

I always think of you when I see or hear of lady slippers. Your pictures remind me that I'm not wrong. Lovely! :-)

Linda Kay said...

Funny to think of Chance taking in the breeze from the car window. Love the lady slippers.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see pics of our State Flower blooming where nature intended. They are lovely. Thank you.

Shirley H.

Tired Teacher said...

Nothing better than opening the window and letting the wind blow in your face, right Chance?

Glad you had a wonderful drive and the opportunity to snap a few photos.

MTWaggin said...

Ahhh that last one looks just like this lovely carved lady slipper I have hanging at my desk! :)

Leah said...

Beautiful - love those slippers! Sounds like a great outing ~ I enjoy being the captain of my own ship!

L. D. said...

The first Showy Lady's Slipper for the year. It is good that there will be more. We saw a bunch in a clearing along Lake Pokegama many years ago. I haven't been back in the area for 25 years or more. I wonder if they are still there or if the forest has been cleared in that area again. I didn't realize there were smaller yellow ones.

Travels with Emma said...

I'm thinking that by Father's Day that road will be quite busy with people taking pictures of the slippers. I'm missing them this year. ;(

Lynda said...

The mosquitoes and "no see-ums" are already ridiculous here. Those flowers are beautiful.
I like blueberries but can't eat them cuz they repeat in burps all day long - - - not appetizing that way.

Red said...

I have to check on lady slippers here.Tthey're at the top of their game right now. Cool 18 mile drive for you.

Primitive Stars said...

Beautiful Lady Slippers, I love them. Blessings Francine.

Linda W. said...

Nice photos of the lady slippers!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Eighteen miles and no company on the road? That's quite a record!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good ride with no traffic. I can just see Chance enjoying having his head out the window smelling the great outdoors! Pretty flower photos. John loves blueberries, me...not so much. I buy a lot at one time and freeze half of them for later. Say Hi to FG for us.

Gail said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Karen said...

I usually find my slippers kicked off under the table;-)

Anonymous said...

There they are! The Showy Lady slippers! They are so pretty. I haven't seen too many in my life, but I do like them.

Terry and Linda said...

I love your native flowers! Nothing like them here!

Although we do have the skeeters and other biting things!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

Cynthia said...

So pretty.

Sam I Am...... said...

Lovely flowers and so delicate for being a wildflower. I bet Chance loved riding shotgun!

Rita said...

They are so pretty and elegant.
You and Chance--on the loose!! LOL!
I only really like blueberries in some kind of baked goods, but they are really good in those. ;)

Henny Penny said...

Eighteen miles without seeing another car sounds amazing. I bet Chance was proud being just the two of you out and about.