Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wistful Wednesday: Roots Part Three

I asked my Father the other day if he had been to Annandale to see the church that his Grandfather built.  He has not been there. Church in Pioneer Park
I have not been there.  This photo is from Verniel.  I have it on my list of things to do this summer….along with many other things to do.
Here is Isak and Margaretta’s story. 
For a quick recap they both came from Finland and settled in French Lake Minnesota. According to my Dad Isak got Typhoid Fever and stayed with Margaretta’s family while he was sick and recuperating.  He then helped build the church with John Leinonen  and a man named Rontti.
Church in Annandale
In this sketch of the original site there is a cemetery.
Church in Annandale (3)
I think that cemetery is where Briita Liisa ( My Great Great Grandmother is buried) so that is also on my list…I think it is called the Leinonen Cemetery.   Once churches are moved to different locations…old cemeteries are hard to find…but I have directions!  Briita Liisa’s third husband Johan is buried elsewhere …not sure why? He died in 1917…I suppose lots of things can change in sixteen years.
Briita Liisa is shown as Liisa Leinonen at the French Lake Cemetery. Born April 20 1838 and died July 9, 1901.  Her headstone is written in Finn.
Blog Signature

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you and your dad will have an opportunity to visit.

Cathie said...

If you come to Annandale, send me an e-mail so we can make plans for lunch or something.

KH said...

You may want to check the dates you have for the life of Briita Liisa (lovely name!).

Lynda said...

I love your interest in history. It's a beautiful heritage you have, too.

linda m said...

Very interesting!

DJan said...

I love the historical nuggets you give me on your blog. Hope you get there so you can take lots of pictures and share. :-)

Cranberry Morning said...

What an interesting bit of family history! I'd love to see that church in person.

Cynthia said...

How nice that you have that church to visit and that it is being preserved. I was able to visit the church my great grandparents were married in near Roseau a few years ago and it was a very special feeling to be there.

Karen said...

A good reason for a road trip!

Leah said...

I hope you get to visit too! How interesting :)

Patsy said...

In my ancestry there are three churches that my grand's help to build. Three different sides of the family.
I have gotten to see two of them. The other was all ready gone. Two went back to the 1800's and one 1930's.

Intense Guy said...

I hope you and your dad get to see the church soon (and that it is open so you can go inside!!) I hope you find the cemetery too.

Nancy said...

Please take the time to visit the area and the church with your Dad. It would be time well spent.

Red said...

It's amazing what you can find if you work hard enough. It's out there even if it's in Finn. some of the headstones in my families cemetery are in German. Dad would read what it said.

Primitive Stars said...

Sweet church, hope you get to visit, Francine.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thanks yes I had it transposed...I have corrected it now!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

How neat! I hope you get to visit the church and the cemetery soon.

Jacqi Stevens said...

What a heritage you have! Definitely, yes! Go visit the church and see if you can find the cemetery. Have you checked to see if anyone has posted any records of that cemetery's burials online? Would love to read your story and see the photographs from when you take that trip!

lisa said...

That would be a great place to visit. Hopefully you will be able to get inside and take some pictures. It looks like a very quaint church.

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, you have some cool exploring to do!

Sam I Am...... said...

I hope you get to go visit both spots this summer. What an interesting and wonderful history your family has and great that it isn't so spread out so you can visit and keep the family memories and stories alive.

Rita said...

You have quite the bucket list. ;)
I love that you have such detailed information like this with pictures. This will all be precious to somebody down the line in the family.

Pauline Persing said...

I enjoy reading your family history blogs. So nice that you have been able to learn so much about them. Not many Finns or Swedes in the parts of Ohio that I know about. There are Germans, French, English, Scots, Polish, Hungarians here. Lots of Amish, (German Baptists and others)

L. D. said...

It would be great to find it. I had a great grandfather help build Union Church. It was built with two doors to keep the men away from the women. I have read that the church was moved to a farm nearby. I keep wondering if the building is still in use.

Anonymous said...

Johan Leinonen is only buried 1.5 miles away in Riverside. :)