Sunday, June 10, 2012

Phlox and Museum News

The Wild Blue Phlox is blooming.  There are great patches of it along the highways. I took my photo on the back driveway in the shade.  This Phlox is a native perennial.

Phlox

Usually there is no traffic..but Kate came home just as I stopped to take a photo.  So I had to stop and see the poison ivy kids at her place..the twins readily showed me their poison ivy spots.  Aubrey showed me the noise maker that she made in Vacation Bible School. Everyone threw the ball for Chance!

Seven weeks down at the museum and sixteen weeks to go to freedom.  Yes, I am counting the days. I am also getting a bit discouraged.  We have a BIG ta-do coming up.  An editor from a magazine is coming to visit the museum.  This next week everything that can be done will be done..Que sera sera.

I have no control over some things..like paint not being delivered when it was supposed to be. A huge cardboard box filled with barrier board that should be in display cabinets instead it is leaning against the desk in the Clerks Office..where in the world am I going to hide it??  Fishing equipment not hung up properly.  Painting’s waiting to be hung.  A thousand pounds of books that need to go up or down the stairs. Another hundred books that need to be accessioned in or boxed up.  A new computer needs to be hooked up…I guess I will need a new monitor also…something about new computers don’t have the same hook ups that old antique monitors have.  I have been saving everything off the old computer when it has been working ( in between the blue screens of death).  This is my first experience with a Flash Drive..but as long as I save what I can in Rich Text Format everything should be okay.  We got a grant from our local Electrical Cooperative for $1,000 for a computer and a printer and software…now I must stretch that to include a monitor..the printer may have to wait. Luckily my baby brother got us a deal on the computer so I have a little money to work with. Still..decisions need to be made…in the meantime I will dust yet again and hide some of the mess on my desk under the desk. 

The work days I have scheduled are becoming less popular..or ignored. So the bulk of the work falls to just a few..that is the part that is discouraging. Soon I will have my best Board Members all tuckered out.  I need more active members.  I will guess that the average age of one of my members is 70 years old.  I did get three new members this week..all in their 80’s.

Oh well..today is a day off. Que sera sera:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Connie, seems there's always more work to do than people to help do it. It's the same with the train statin preservation group that Grenville belong to when the work Saturdays have several 60+ guys doing all the construction type jobs.

Dreaming said...

It does sound very discouraging. It seems like you are constantly having to work really hard in rough conditions with only one hand available to you! I have been a part of, and have seen, so many organizations where the work is done by a few and enjoyed by many. I don't know what the secret is to getting everyone to do a little bit of work. If you could figure that out... you could write a book and go on the road doing motivational speeches! Uh... not quite your thing, I don't believe!

Linda said...

A friend gave me some of that phlox a couple of years ago....its all over now and blooming like crazy. Don't stay too busy;)))))

DJan said...

I do love phlox. It's got a while before we'll have any around here. I hear you about being discouraged. Last year you weren't counting the days nearly as soon as this year. I predict you may decide it's not worth the hassle when next year rolls around. But then again, you often surprise me! :-)

Gail said...

Every thing will be fine. If the person visiting has any gumption, they will know this is a work in progress. The article may generate just what you need, funding and workers. You have made mounds of progress since you have been there and it shows otherwise an editor would not be coming to visit.

Maybe through the summer, the very grandchildren of your volunteers can do the heavy toting.

It's gonna be wonderfu and you will a rave review.

As my sister always says about the farm, Remember when we started, we've come a long ways.

linda m said...

Beautiful Phlox picture. Enjoy your day off.

Nancy said...

Contact the local Boy Scouts leader and ask if some of the Eagle Scout candidates would be willing to help at the museum. Around here, they are always looking for projects to do. Is there a Kiwanis or Rotary organization in your area? They are good workers, too as are the Jaycees. It's worth a try. Ask each group to commit to help for one month during your busiest times.

Anonymous said...

I love the color of the wild phlox.
Sorry that work is so discouraging. Nancy's idea above sounds good. Sometimes, local church groups are looking for odd jobs for youths, also.
Enjoy your day off and I'm glad Chance got to play ball with good friends!

Beth said...

The phlox is beautiful! such a pretty color.

I like Nancy's idea. I hope you are able to get some help.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I wonder if there is anyone in the community who'd like to help. Can you place a notice in the newspaper, or on the radio station? Meanwhile, let the writer see that there is work to be done to achieve the vision you have for the museum. All the things you have lying around are part of the work in progress. (I know, you'll want to put a few things away just for your own sanity.) I can't believe it's already been seven weeks!

Lo said...

I am not sure what your computer needs are, but I know that since I got my wonderful laptop from Walmart in a deal that included a printer/scanner and mouse for $400 (and the laptop has its own monitor screen of course) I hardly ever use my old PC. Might a laptop work for you? With the money you save from the $1000 you could buy extra storage and heaven knows what else........ask Chance if this might work for you.

LindaG said...

Any local colleges that have History classes? Any high schools? Perhaps you could work something out with them to give some extra credit to the students for volunteering a few hours a week, or some such, to help out at the museum?

I agree with Lo, too. Laptops now days can do as much as a desktop computer. And depending on what stores you have near you, you could get an external hard drive of 500 Megs - 1000 Megs for around a hundred dollars.

Oh. I forgot you said your baby brother took care of the computer. Well, Wally World has printers from 100-300 dollars, depending on what you need.

*hugs* ♥

Far Side of Fifty said...

We already have a laptop for portable use and it is dedicated to the museum inventory. A Desk Top is what we needed to replace. We covered all the options:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nope no colleges in the area. We have a high school..of course school is out for the summer. I could check with the school in the fall:)

Red said...

I know the feeling about getting board members. It's sad that the load falls to 80 year olds . They are still competent but younger people should be sharing some of the load.

Rita said...

The phlox is gorgeous! :)
Maybe you should let the magazine take pictures of all of it--and explain what is needed. You can show all the marvels of history, but you can also show that a lot of work needs to be done and that you need money and volunteers! I think that idea of asking the boy scouts, girl scouts, etc, would be a good idea...or maybe some city group or church? I hope you can locate some group (or a couple of them) who can make the museum their pet project. You definitely need more volunteers.
But you can only do so much. The rest--yup--que sera sera. ;)

Terry and Linda said...

All of our board members are in there 80s...suddenly there is a 60 year old (not me) and he was quickly appointment Board President!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh how I wish I could help you! I have a degree in computer science so I could handle the pc stuff plus I love "old" anything! I'd go through those books too as I love books..old and new. And I'm more your age so I still have some energy and muscles! LOL!