Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hi Ho Hi Ho

It’s off to work I go.  Same old same old..tis a bit chipper in the building 48 degrees.  As long as I keep moving I am just fine.  If I sit down for too long I start to shiver.  I have my parka and my winter boots stashed in my office.

There is no heat or air conditioning in the building and there are no plans to put any in the building.  It is a historic building.   The Board has no plans to make the building handicap accessible either.  I may not be the right person to get them to look forward enough to a new building in a new location..one with heat and air conditioning and handicap accessibility…and a future.

I got a new Volunteer..his name is Tom and he loves books and he volunteered to organize the vault that is filled with books in no particular order.  He began sorting!

I have spent the last few days cleaning up my office and making my work space cleaner and tidy. AND solving small problems.  Note to self..when it is 20 below zero and you drop bags of “stuff” off in the office and say well I will worry about that next spring..next spring really does come.  I got the phones working..and I hooked up the computer all by myself and only got two wires mixed up…once I got them straightened out I had internet service.  My computer only quit on me once and the printer only crapped out twice so it was a good day in the trenches.

Double Flowering Plum April 30

My Prunus triloba ‘multiplex’ is putting on quite a show. This was how it looked a few days ago.

IMG_0957

Yesterday was a nice day and the blooms opened.  When I got home from work Far Guy said “What is that tree that is blooming?”   It really is a shrub..I should trim it after it blooms. Oh yeah..most other people would call this shrub a Double Flowering Plum. It is one of the shrubs that I sold a long time ago when we had the Greenhouse business..I only picked the prettiest hardiest shrubs for our area and this one fit the bill:)

Blog Signature

27 comments:

Gail said...

Sounds like a great start. Wonderful that you have a new volunteer. Soon it will be running smoothly.

Laura said...

Glad that you're getting off to a somewhat smooth-ish start (except - brrr!). Hope your volunteer continues to be a hard worker. And bee-u-tiful flowers!

TxFarmhouse said...

Oh, t'would be so nice to have a few cool days (and some rain). It's supposed to be 90 here...again...

DJan said...

It's 45 degrees outside and raining (of course). It's Thursday morning and it's been nice outside until my hiking day came around. It's just a bit discouraging to read about sunshine and heat in other parts of the country. It sure sounds chilly in your office, though. Brrr!

linda m said...

You are very chipper for someone going off to work. Have a nice day.

Country Gal said...

Its hot and humid here seems like we have gone straight into summer weather ! They should acomadate for people in the Musium so they can have more people go through that enjoy the history of it all ! Beautiful blooms I love that pink ! Have a good day and stay warm !

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Shiver me timbers, sister. Do ya have a little space heater so ya won't die of hypothermia? Forty eight would make anyone hurt all over!

Tom sounds like a great helper...sure sounds like he's undertakin' a big job there.

Your shrub is beautiful as are your pictures. So pretty!!!

God bless and enjoy another 'good' day my friend!!! :o)

MTWaggin said...

Thank you for the shrub id....it looks like one a friend of mine has been trying to identify in her yard! :)

West Side of Straight said...

Bet you're tired when you get home! The flowering shrub is beautiful. Wish my trees would flower soon. But wish the flowering trees showed their colors longer than they do. Have a start on cleaning flower beds up - which I didn't do last year. see ya soon!

Shirley H. said...

How wonderful to have that new volunteer to put the books in order. That is a great improvement for your museum.

The flowering bush is lovely. So great to see these Spring blooms.

Terry and Linda said...

BRRRR! I can't imagine. I can't imagine anyone even Wanting go visit and see the exhibits....and I'm more than positive you put together great exhibits!

Because of you, I am not a Museum Volunteer....YOU SO INSPIRE..You really do!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

L. D. said...

I can not imagine there being a building in the entire United States that has no heat. I really like the flowering plum blossoms.

Jacqi Stevens said...

48 degrees? So much for nostolgia over those "good ol' days."

Well, hooray for volunteers anyhow!

Becca's Dirt said...

Can't believe ya'll don't have any heat in your building. It is an old building but.. Beautiful double bloom.

Dreaming said...

Brrr....working under those conditions can't be fun!
Congrats to you on getting the computer up and running! I bet that provided a great feeling of accomplishment - it does for me!
I love your plum. I also love that you used to select plants to sell that would do well in your area. It bothers me to go by places that sell plants that are all wrong... but it's something 'Corporate' said they should sell.

Linda said...

Heard from any ghosts yet?

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I agree with everyone else. Burrr. I cannot imagine working in that cold. Glad to hear you have a volunteer. Hope he hangs in there with you. Hope your summer is mild too.

LindaG said...

They don't plan on making it accessible? I didn't realize they had a choice. I thought they had to make it accessible.

Your flowers look beautiful! :o)

Sorry to hear there is still no heat or air, but your new volunteer sounds wonderful! Hope he works out. ♥

Sam I Am...... said...

I sing that song around here all the time....certain songs for certain times of the day and the "girls" know what's going on when I sing certain songs....gosh they're smart! I love books...especially old ones! I would love to have that job! Be careful of the cold with your joints....that would be bad for me especially all day. Even the ac isn't good for me....there's no happy medium!
I love your plum! It is so pretty. Does it have fragrance too? I didn't know you had a greenhouse? How cool is that! I love plants. Take care and don't work too hard and STAY WARM!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Sam, No fragrance with the plum blossoms. Yes we owned a greenhouse for ten years:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I think he is still too cold to start having any fun! :)

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

That flowering plum is gorgeous. Enjoy your time back at work.

rkbsnana said...

Brrrr. I hate working cold. Love the blossoms

Red said...

More seniors should step out like you and take on the challenge of leading in some community area. Good for you. I wish you well.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I too thought it was against the law to not be handicapped accessible. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, but if everyone will play nice, I can't imagine a better person to fix this straight up. Hopefully it will be fun.

Lynda said...

You sound excited for the challenge again this year. It helps to know what's ahead for you at work as opposed to last year when you had to learn it all. Plus, you got a lot of stuff organized last year which will make this year easier, too.
Thanks for posting the shrub. It's beautiful.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Linda is a volunteer..this is a typo it should read..Because of you I am NOW a Museum Volunteer!! :)