Friday, January 6, 2012

Cygnets on Fishhook River

Far Guy and I met the Swan Guy..his name is Pete.  We met him at woodcarving..he stopped to visit.

Pete feeds the Swans on  Fishhook River.  He was friends with The Swan Lady who fed Trumpeter Swans at Monticello Minnesota.

Pete like the Swan Lady feeds the Swans because someone should.  He says he can still afford the corn..so he will continue.  He said some people give him donations..he feeds them every morning.

Swans

He has invited us to watch him at feeding ..and we will go one morning soon with camera in hand!

In the meantime we enjoy the Swans and the Ducks that are gathered at the river.  I like to go in the afternoon when the light is right for photographs.

These are the Cygnets.

Cygnets on Fishhook River

Cygnets are young swans that were born last spring.  This spring they will molt and be snow white like the big guys!

some cygnets

Here is a good photo for you to see the difference in color and size.

Chance enjoys trips down to the river. Far Guy rolls down his window and Chance hangs his head out and watches the swans and the ducks.  He is quiet and just watches and never barks.  The ducks fly in..quacking and the swans swim silently over..then they start to honk or trumpet..I think the ducks irritate the swans.

I am amazed at how close I can get to them..and equally amazed at how large they are:)

Blog Signature

21 comments:

DJan said...

They are beautiful creatures. I've got to get out and see some of the ones around here. Maybe next week we will see them on our hike, since we'll be going to an area where they congregate. Love the pictures to show the difference in color.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

My goodness girl, ya got your very own Swan Lake!!! They are magnificent creatures.

It's almost eerie that they can still swim up there. I bet the ice fishin' isn't goin' well either, huh???

God bless ya sweet friend and have a fabulous weekend!!! :o)

troutbirder said...

I've seen the swans at Montecello. It's hard to believe these magnificent Trumpeters were basically extinct in Minnesota some 40 years ago. A great comeback thanks to the Mpls Park Board and later the often maligned DNR.

MTWaggin said...

Jealous here. I love the swans. My favorite waterfowl to photograph during their migrations through here! Thanks for sharing and how fun you met Swan Guy! :)

Sam I Am...... said...

I learn something from you every time I read your posts! Those swans are gorgeous and graceful. It's warm down here this winter too....high 60's yesterday and today too then cold front moving in. I'm from Iowa originally and still love and long for the midwest....cold and all! Thank you for posting this. I'm coming back as soon as I can get this place sold!

Karen said...

They are expecting you to hand out corn:)

Karmyn R said...

When money is tight, I always think I'll forgo buying birdseed - and I start to feel so guilty. I am in a quandry - the birds were here eating way before humans started feeding them....so they will be okay, but of course, we humans have gotten rid of a lot of the habitat that gave them food so I have to feed them.

Country Gal said...

Awesome photos ! Isnt nature wonderful to photograph ! Have a great day !

Judy said...

We don't get swans nesting on the lake, so there is a bird sanctuary near us which we visit each year to view the new babies...Like to feed them and get your hand bitten occasionally...

Rae said...

I enjoy seeing swans. We have very few around here though. They are so graceful in motion. Nice photography subjects too.

Linda said...

Great pic's! I've only every been able to photograph the birds once......they don't stick around here very often.

lisa said...

Great pictures, swans are so elegant!

Red said...

Swans are a very majestic bird. I'm surprised to hear that they winter in Minnesota.
Excellent photos.

Anonymous said...

This is a rare treat for me to see. I can't wait for the pics from the feeding.

You guys have a nice weekend.

LindaG said...

Lovely photos, Far Side. :-)

Dreaming said...

In my opinion there is nothing more serene than to watch swans swimming on the water. It must have been incredible to see so many!

Leenie said...

Good to see the Trumpeters are making a healthy comeback. They are one of my favorite birds. Nice photos too.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots - so beautiful. Amazing how they can survive in our cold temperatures too.

Connie Peterson said...

The swans are totally awesome. We had some here one summer but haven't seen them since (sigh). So glad Chance is a quiet observer.

Rita said...

Chance is such a good dog!
Beautiful shots. I hope you get to go see him feed the swans soon. :)

Pamela said...

One of the birders told me there were trumpeter swans up on the reservoir a few miles from my house. But I never got up there to see them.