Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Trains

We went up to Thief River Falls Minnesota to a train show on Sunday.  We drug the Grand boys and their parents with us.   Far Guy even won a subscription to a Train magazine.

Train Show in Thief River Falls

Since I worked on Saturday..we missed the first day of the show..it was held in a Hockey Arena.  That is an old Marx train headed into the silver trestle.  The show was okay, not fantastic..but sometimes it is all about the networking..I met two very talkative men and found out about a few train shows coming up in North Dakota and in Canada.  The Antique Shops were all closed on Sunday..but Dairy Queen was open! 

Big Train

We stopped for a photo op, the train displayed is very much like the train engine that Far Guy has upstairs. 

What were we looking for at the Train Show?  I was looking for cows with little stands that have little bumps on them.. Far Guy was just looking..it is interesting to see what different people have.  I think Far Guy bought an O scale truck that he will fix up and repurpose. If I had known how much his train collection was going to grow..we would have designed a room around a train set.

One of Far Guys friends from high school gave him his old train set from the 1950’s… a whole train set..can you believe it?  I couldn’t, I said “Surely he wants it for his grands?”  Apparently not..  Far Guy will just have to build more shelves.  He has lots of new to him “stuff” up there…someday I will take more photos and count all his train cars.  Pre war..post war..HO and O..I am getting to know all this train talk:)

Blog Signature

13 comments:

Gail said...

This was an outing I would have loved.

It is great that this hobby gives Far Guy such pleasure.

Anonymous said...

What a great hobby and that's a fun photo of Far Guy and Chance by the train. Mr. Maple worked with a man who had a room in his basement set up with trains and he and his son collected civil war "people" - it was very interesting to see.

DJan said...

Have you ever known a woman train collector? I wonder why they are all men? It's a guy thing, I guess. Love the picture of that big engine. It looks huge with Far Guy and Chance showing the size of it!

LindaG said...

Haha. Awesome. I wanted a train set when I was little, but only one brother got one.
I'd still like one some day, but hubby wouldn't be interested.
Oh well.
Glad you all got to have a nice day together.

Country Gal said...

Papa loves trains as well and used to have a train set as a child. We have a Train Museum in a small town near us here is the web site maybe Far Guy would like to look at it.
http://www.ecrm5700.org . Awesome photos. Have a wonderful day !

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh what a fun sight to behold. 'Reminds me of the days we used to catch the old 'Red Nose' outta KC to go spend the summer with my Grandmother (Ma) in Albuquerque!!!

Wonderful drive...wonderful pics sweetie!

God bless and enjoy your day! :o)

troutbirder said...

Mmmm. I need to find out more about this whole train and train show thing. I have a dusty box filled with a whole Lionel 07 set and am slowly coming to the conclusion it's time to downsize some of my long ago hobbies. :)

Leenie said...

A train show sounds like a great way to spend a day. That big black engine reminds me of the ones that went whistling through out town blowing smoke and steam. I can understand the fun of creating a little world of trains and houses. I get a kick out of tiny dolls and their furniture.

lisa said...

The hubby would of loved that! He loves trains also!

Pauline Persing said...

My oldest son had an HO layout in his basement the size of our living room. He has it in a storage unit now since he has moved. The plan is to buy or build a house big enough to set the set up again.

I always wanted a train set when I was a child but I was a GIRL. There is a pink train,I think made by Lionel, in the Children's Museum in Indianapolis. It was supposed to be for girls. A pink train just doesn't look like a real train.

Lanny said...

That train is in your upstairs?! Hey it sounds like you had a great time whether you found all that you were looking for or not!

L. D. said...

It would have been a lot of fun.

Pamela said...

I was watching that "hording" show and one of the guys had a train set from his childhood.