Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rockets

No not the fireworks kind of Rockets but the one called Hesperis matronalis..a non-native wildflower.

We found a patch growing near an old farmstead.  Old farmsteads in Minnesota usually have some Lilacs and sometimes Dame’s Rockets.  This was a good year for Dame’s Rockets..cool and rainy.

Dames Rockets

We planted some rockets at our place..they lasted a couple of years..then they died out.  Perhaps a bird ate our seed and pooped (ahem.. deposited) them at this nearby farmstead.

The evening light really lit up the flowers. They almost seem to be glowing.  The Lilacs are still there, they were done blooming. The Lilacs give way to the Dame’s Rockets..both with spectacular flowers. 

I wonder about the women or the man who brought this seed to America..it is native to Europe.  Someone brought the seed over with them…was it wrapped in a handkerchief or a scrap of fabric or was it in an envelope tucked deep inside a steamer trunk?  It must have been a very important plant to someone:)

Dames Rocket four petals

Blog Signature

15 comments:

DJan said...

However they got here, I'd say they are welcome. No wonder they were cherished so much, they are beautiful!

Changes in the wind said...

So glad you did a close up to show how pretty they are.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this flower in person; just lovely!!!

L. D. said...

That is a wonderful shot. They are beautiful flowers. The close up shows that it isn't looestrife but a very nice shaped set of flowers. I like to go to areas where the farmsteads are to see what is still growing. We have an antique rose at Della's old farm that we need to rescue before the farm gets sold.

Country Gal said...

They are soo pretty ! I love the wild flowers here that cover the grounds of the woods and the road sides ! Wonderful photo and post ! Today is a very hot,hazy humid day .Have a good day !

Karen said...

We have them here too, and the smell is lovely. Do you have the white ones as well? We see them growing here mostly along side the railway tracks. I had been cutting some to add to my bouquets, but they are just about done now.

CiCi said...

It is fun to imagine the trip to America by some seeds rolled up in some paper or a handkerchief. The flowers are so pretty, and I would love to have some here in our garden.

Gail said...

I used to have Dame's Rocket, too. It lasted and reseeded about four years and then it was gone.

A beautiful flower and, like you, I wish the plants could talk.

Patsy said...

It is beautiful.

LindaG said...

Very pretty, Far Side. Thanks for sharing the story with us. :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I believe I had some of those in Michigan. I think my sister dug them out of a ditch. (She is very good at that.) They're tall aren't they? I like the pretty lilac color.

lisa said...

My favorite color and they sure are a very pretty flower!

Linda said...

Mine started to bloom too.....the fragrance is wonderful.

Lynda said...

They are so pretty with all the little purple flowers. I am glad you posted them. You are so in love with flowers. It's a blessing to us, too that you love them!

Lanny said...

Okay, I have to break in here (I'm trying hard to catch up on my reading) I love Hesperis Matronalis! It grows nearly every where I allow it to on our farm, I love it in every garden because it is like having baby's breath in a bouquet, only better. Better because it smells sooo good. A neighbor stopped to talk to me across the fence she is about a hundred feet away from my clump nearest her at the closest point. She asked if my clump of flowers were sweet peas, they smelled so good. No, I said, the sweet peas this year are up by the house! That is how good they smell, but then you most likely already know that. I think you should gather up some seeds this year and sprinkle them at your house to get them started again. I can't imagine my farm without them.