Saturday, September 26, 2009

Obedient Plant

Physostegia virginiana, the obedient plant. There are two colors, white which is called 'Crown of Snow'. My white ones bloomed in the middle of August.

Pink which is called 'Rose Queen'. And yes they are obedient.. they have the peculiar trait of remaining in place while rearranging their tiny blooms. My pink ones are in full bloom right now.

I played around with the blooms so that you can see that they are indeed maneuverable. No hocus pocus, no photo shop..they really are obedient.

This is a zone three perennial, it spreads a tad, by seeds and runners. As you can see they thrive on my no special weeding or watering regimen, which borders on total neglect. They are beautiful survivors! I think my more relaxed carefree gardening efforts yielded some great photo opportunities over the summer, I rather enjoyed my not so perfect wild gardens:)

13 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful. You do good work!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really beautiful! Hard to say which is the prettiest, white or pink!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Aren't the easier plants just the greatest? Beautiful pics.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Pamela said...

how pretty and fun. Wish everything did what it was told.
QUIT GROWING WEEDS! as you wish.
GO AWAY BAD BUGS! as you wish

DJan said...

My mother had a green thumb too, and I asked her what her secret was, once long ago. She told me her secret is something called "benign neglect." Just give 'em water now and then and get out of the way.

L. D. said...

I don't think I have ever heard of that. Maybe in a list of wild prairie plants. I guess I will look it up. It is a beautiful plant.

That Janie Girl said...

Beautiful!!!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Wonder how they'd do, here in zone 6....

Far Side of Fifty said...

Jeanne, I believe they would do just fine for you in zone 6.
Larry, It isn't a wildflower or a native plant. Just a run of the mill perennial.:)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Connie, I am already grieving the chance to post flower photos. I guess we will have to store these up and save them for those white winter months, huh? Thanks for the splash of color while it's still around. :)

LadyFi said...

What delightful plants! All in a row...

Lori Skoog said...

Beautiful photos. I'm a rookie when it comes to all that zone talk.

Rae said...

The results of your carefree gardening are excellent. Pretty flowers.