Saturday, May 16, 2009

Frustrating Forsythia Failure

I love Forsythia, I am very partial to yellow flowers, yellow is such a sunny warm color. I have a Forsythia in my yard. It is Forsythia x 'Meadowlark' it was a NDSU introduction back in 1986 ( by one of my Professors), I have thought about writing him a letter to give him my opinion on his introduction. He is getting on in years and has probably lost what little sense of humor he had. It is the only Forsythia that is hardy in our area. For nine years it has been a dismal failure. I keep hoping for just a couple of flowers..one or two..hey I don't ask for a flowing fountain of flowers but a couple would be nice. Here it is: A Failure.. my frustrating Forsythia..it may get leaves in a couple of weeks, if not, I can declare it deader than a doornail and swear off further Forsythia attempts.
Here is one blooming just this past week in town, a virtual fountain of color. I was tempted to knock on the door and ask for a whip, ( a cutting) but I took this photo from the roadside and went on my way. I am sure they take their Forsythia for granted...they probably don't even give it a thought.

I did find this Meadowlark a while ago... but he just reminded me of my failures:(

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in GA, the forsythia grows like crazy. We someimes have to thin out areas. There is one historic home in town that the huge lot is encircled with forsythia and in spring in nearly glows in the dark. It is so lovely. That is a magnificent Meadowlark. I'm sorry about your forsythia bush - maybe it will surprise you. Hope you have a nice weekend.

RURAL said...

OK, what is up with it? I have never seen one that did not bloom like crazy. Even the poor "specimen" LOL besides our condo dumpster that gets pruned by the chain saw each fall blooms like crazy.

Is it not the most frustrating thing when a plant won't do what it is supposed to do?

Jen

The Retired One said...

I have never seen a MeadowLark...what a pretty bird!
I love the Forsythia too, but I have never tried to grow one up here in the U.P. There are plenty of them around, I just have never tried yet.

Ziggy Stardust said...

The picture with the bird is really nice. Don't give up there might be a bud in there just screaming to get out, I WANT TO GROW AND LOOK BEAUTIFUL. I hope so anyway lol. Have a good day.

*debbi* said...

9 years! It may be time.... I feel your pain. Our equivalent of forsythia is the ground cover lantana in yellow or purple. It grows like crazy everywhere...everywhere except my pitiful little patch in front. Starting in spring, I trim off the parts that froze, water it daily, add a fresh package of garden soil w/ Miracle Grow and throw on extra feeding of liquid fertilizer now and then. It is planted where a basketball hoop was which we tore out. My husband broke up the cement around the hoop, leaving it down there. There is a few feet of soil on top of the concrete chunks, but I keep thinking that might be the problem. It is a scraggly mess compared to the thickly blooming masses everywhere else, but looking at your plant, at least it DOES have blooms. LOL! *debbi*

Pamela said...

I didn't even know you could kill it!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that picture of the meadowlark is just stunning!

Forsythia is lovely, but you have so many other skills, so don't dwell on your shortcomings.

Debbie said...

Forsythia's are everywhere here in Maine! As much as I love the color yellow, I will not grow one because they are so plentiful. Sounds like it is time to cut bait and get rid of it. I have had plants like that...just died. My husband digs them up and got rid of it. You are an exceptional gardener with more knowledge than most of us. Don't EVER think you have failed at something! Look at your accomplishments and focus on those! I KNOW you must have many! You are blessed with an abundance of creativity.

Anonymous said...

I have a Northern Gold Forsythia that seems to bloom ever year........but only on the bottom branches. I'd go on a midnight raid with you and a set of pruners...........just sayin'!