Friday, October 3, 2008

To sell or not to sell?

That is a good question? I asked Far Guy..a man of many words he said "sure." I asked him what he thought about a price..he said "Whatever you think sweetheart."

I am torn on this one, we purchased this Majestic Wood Cook Stove about thirteen years ago at an Auction Sale in Hillsboro, ND. It did not look anything like this then, it had been stored in a Grainery..it was filthy. A gallon of Simple Green later...it was presentable. There were three stoves there that day, thank goodness I only bought one.

Wood Cook Stoves are very HEAVY..it has a copper boiler.. we moved it five times..it is heavy.
It made it from Hillsboro to Buxton to Harwood (It was the only piece of furniture we left in the basement of our house during the great flood of 1997.) Then we moved it here to my brothers garage..finally one last move to the spot it has occupied for the last ten years. In my potting shed/garage.

It has sparked some interesting conversations over the years..with older folks reminiscing about bringing in the wood, what their Mothers used to cook on a stove almost like that one, how warm and cozy the kitchen used to be in the early morning. And of course... how heavy they are. One particularly senile old gentleman suggested I start a fire in it and bake him up some cookies. Far Guys Grandma H. had a similar wood cook stove..she made the best fried potatoes, eggs and bacon for breakfasts during Deer Hunting Season on her old wood cook stove. Maybe these old stoves aren't much good anymore..except for the memories they invoke. If they were story tellers..I would love to hear their stories..now do you have any old cook stove stories or memories to share? Please leave a comment:)

No.. we don't grow lady bugs that big in Minnesota..it is a magnetic lady bug! Also disregard the rock, that is my outside door prop it open rock..fancy huh?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My grandma Spivey in Kentucky always cooked on a wood stove. She would also bring her baby chicks in to sleep in a box nearby.
Breakfast was the best. She would make pork chops, fried chicken, fried potatos, biscuits that melt in your mouth, gravey and eggs for breakfast!! The first time I took my husband down there to visit, he thought he died and went to heaven.
Grandma never heard of cornflakes or poptarts. Oh yea, she would always have a homemade jar of jelly and honey and molasses and butter on her table too. Oh, I love going back in time. Those are good memories. I actually think I have a picture of her stove around here somewhere. Gotta go....nice post!

flydragon said...

If, when you enter your potting shed/garage, you look fondly at this stove, maybe run your hand over it and smile, and think of happy memories, keep it. If not.....
Love your prop rock :)

RURAL said...

My Grandma, who lived to be a 100 years old, used to make us the best bannok [ biscuits ]on her cook stove. When we were little, and they lived in a house without running water, or facilities, that cook stove kept us all warm. I remember the smoke pouring out of the chimney pipe, and the smell of burning plastic, when my Uncle's dentures accidentely got wrapped in paper towels, and thrown in the stove with the garbage.
That old cook stove was a warm place for the old farm dog to curl up in front of, and a gathering spot for all the grandchildren to warm their hands after playing in the snow all day.
Great memories were made around that old cook stove.
Jen

Bekah said...

i love your stove, so id say keep it, hoever i can see why, if you dont really use it, and dont really have a reason to keep it, you would want to sell it.

I dont really have a story about an aold cook stove, but my dad has a woodstove that I once sat a plastic spatula on top of. It melted SO FAST. amazing. He was not quite as amazed for some reason...

Anonymous said...

I don't have a story about a cook stove, but I wished I lived nearer you if you decide to sell that one. I love it!

and..don't mention lady bugs. I know they are extremely helpful in my garden, but every year around Nov. we have thousands of the little rascals trying to get in the house. Several hundred usually succeed too.

Love the rock prop. I happen to have some of those also.
Good post.
Pam

Linda said...

I've missed a bunch of your posts, Bloglines letting me down I guess. I love the stove and if it were mine it would occupy my kitchen. I do have one in the basement but not nearly as nice as yours. I loved you Virginia Creeper and raspberry pictures. Fall as surely arrived!

Julia said...

I love the stove..I would not sell it!
Way back 40+ years when we first were married, I had an old Metters wood stove..loved it warmed the whole house and great for baking..dried the kids wet shoes on the open oven door..that was the good old times

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a beautiful stove and piece of history.

I think they are coming back into style again with folks wanting to live an off-the-grid, self sustainable life-style.

We're not there yet ourselves, but I sure wish we were. :)

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

My dad just sold a blue one that looked just like that on his farm auction here in northern Indiana it went for $1050.00 but they buyer said he would have bid as much as $2000.00.